Monday, August 25, 2008

Valencia and the F1 Circus

Now that it has finished the European Grand Prix in Valencia I have to say that it was well organised, fans are overdelighted with the engines and the smell of the tyres. For me, as a Formula1 follower, I have to say the competition left me good impressions. But does it deserve this spectacle the amount of money the inhabitans of this region had to pay?

This is the policy of our government, big events, pharaonic buildings like the Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciencies, Madona concerts. It is effective this waste of money in promotion? Mister Camps declares this is wealth for the valencians. However, Idoubt it. These spectacles bring a lot of people to the city of Valencia (more than 100 thousand people last Sunday for the race) but I am really sure that most of them didn't spend more than the ticket to view the race. And after the weekend? That's all. Valencia doesn't receive more visitors now than 5 or 10 years before.

On another note the regional president, the one that gave the prize to the drivers, who I prefer to call "the vampire" said the hotels and restaurants of Alicante and Castellon would benefit from this prize as well. Well, the numbers show the contrary. This government is working just for themselves, with the money of all the valencianos they create events in which they can show off. I'm not saying anything against these events, only that they are carrying debts, lots of them and meanwhile the health system is the worse of Spain, the children study in barracks, and the public transport is ruled chaotically. Not to say the manipulation of the regional TV and radio programms, which paint our life in full motion.

The only feeling I have acquired in the last years about my region is to fly far, far away, to a place where not everything is done for the tourists, but for the ones that live there all the year. I am thinking in a place like La Mancha, Castille, Catalunya or the North of Spain. Aplace where people can live because living in the Comunidad Valenciana is not really living, but surviving.



Sorry for the post I'm writting lately (or the absence of them) but I'm in exams' period and I ain't time for the blog

No comments: